As you would be aware, the incidence of coronavirus (COVID-19) is increasing in Victoria. LAVic today (11 March 2020) sent out via email to all athletes advising that LAVic is closely monitoring the rapidly developing events concerning the coronavirus epidemic, and the possible implications for Little Athletics activities such as Centre competition, coaching, training and the upcoming State Track & Field Championships.
LAVic included the following in the email.
LAVic is being advised on a daily basis by the Victorian sporting peak body,Vicsport, the Victorian State Government body Sport & Recreation Victoria, and the Department of Health & Human Services (DHHS).
At this point, the State Track & Field Championships will proceed as planned, Further, Centre Competitions and other Little Athletics activities will also proceed as normal.
In the event LAVic receives advice to the contrary, the Little Athletics community will be advised at the earliest opportunity.
Notwithstanding the above, all of us have a role to play in minimising the risk of coronavirus infection to ourselves and others. All attendees to Little Athletics activities are strongly encouraged to:
- Practice healthy hand hygiene by washing hands regularly, for at least 20 seconds. DRY with paper towel or hand dryer
- Self isolate, if ill, and stay at home to minimise the risk of spreading the illness to others;
- Practice good cough etiquette, such as coughing into your elbow
- Avoid touching your face;
- Avoid using your fingertips, where possible, when using public surfaces, such as door handles, lift buttons, machines, water taps, rails, etc
- PHONE your GP first if you need medical attention. They will tell you what to do.
- CONTINUE health habits: exercise, drink water, get plenty of sleep, and now is the time to quit smoking. Call the Quitline 137 848.
- DON’T wear a face mask if you are well.
- BUY an alcohol-based hand sanitiser with over 60 per cent alcohol.
- GET the flu shot (available April).SHAKING HANDS is optional!
Have discussions with your children and siblings regarding the previous points, the reasons for them and the implications and doing them and not doing them.
In preparation for this weekend’s State Track & Field Championships, LAVic is
making every effort with its suppliers to ensure adequate supplies of hand sanitiser/soap and toilet paper will be on hand. Further DHHS posters will be prominently displayed encouraging patrons practice safe hygiene practices.
While we recognise the serious health threat posed by the coronavirus to the
community, we sincerely hope that all remain healthy and safe and that the
coming months provide great Little Athletics memories for all the right
The LAVic team
With the spread of Coronavirus (COVID 19) likely to continue to impact for many weeks, please continue to be informed through the media and the Department of Health website. https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/victorian-public-coronavirus-disease-covid-19
Some athletes may feel anxious about the impact of the virus and Dr Michael Carr-Gregg has prepared advice to guide parents in talking about this issue: https://schooltv.me/wellbeing_news/special-report-coronavirus
Should there be any need for Knox LAC to take more significant action, as a club we will keep you informed.
If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact me or any member of the Wantirna committee.
David Kearsley | Wantirna LAC President